Monday, August 17, 2009

SJI And Their Religious Moral Education Lessons

I was really surprised last evening when I heard PM Lee mentioned about how Saint Joseph's Institution, better known as SJI, is able to integrate students into their environment without being overtly religious. In fact they were praised on how well students of various racial and religious backgrounds have integrated well into the school. This has always been my vision everywhere I have worked. We have to understand the people around us and respect their culture. It was also something which I feel many secular schools are avoiding. They have felt that by mentioning religion in schools, we are opening a can of worms and they are fearful of the backlash from parents who accuse them of subversive actions to convert their children. However, I beg to differ. I was a student of SJI and am proud to still regard myself as a Josephian these days.

Talking about religion in schools is not about being subversive but more of allowing the students to better understand their friends. Too often misunderstanding and racism crops up in school because many students and teachers alike are not aware of what they are doing and inadvertently cause many unhappiness. Once I had tried to explain to my students why there is the Red Cross and Red Crescent society and the meaning behind their symbols. It was to allow them to have a better understanding why certain symbols are chosen and why it was used in certain regions. Sadly, one of my mentors then accused me of trying to be funny and incite racial and religious disharmony and that my lessons has no bearing towards National Education. Madam, till today, I still do not agree with what you said and ask that you open up your narrow mindedness, especially since you are the National Education Chairperson in the school.

When we expose the students to the various backgrounds, it allows them to be aware. When the students are aware, it gives them a better idea why certain students behave in that way and how they can work together. Too often we have talked about Racial & Religious Tolerance but I feel that these ideas can not come about without Racial & Religious Understanding.

The lessons I have learnt in SJI have helped to guide me all this time. A reason why I entered teaching was also to spread the knowledge I have gained there. I was never coerced into being a Christian or a Catholic during my 4 years there. I was given an option to choose between Catholism classes and Religious Moral Education (RME) classes. There were even students who were Catholics who chose to be part of the Religious Moral Education classes, although the reason are unknown to me. However, the lessons were not about being religious but the focus of it taught us much about understanding the various major religions and races in Singapore. And, it did not stop there. We even looked at certain races around the world and how they interacted with society in general. All this really opened up my eyes and has given me a better understanding. All this was on top of what the students in secular schools go through, lessons such as respecting your fellow students and how one should behave. We also learnt about grief and how we can handle it. RME classes, although not often looked forward to as students think it is a boring subject, often has the ability to bring all of us out to share our experiences. We discuss how things have happened and we learn about ourselves.

I really do hope that more secular schools can consider what SJI has done and do consider incorporating the lessons into their schools. In fact, with the mention by PM Lee, I will not be surprised if some schools are starting to contact SJI or some schools starting to tap on the teachers they have who are Josephians. It would be a long shot to hope that MOE can adopt what SJI has but one can always hope. True, there will be the detractors who feel that what SJI has achieved cannot be replicated elsewhere but if we do not try, will we ever know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home