Friday, October 23, 2009

The Teenage Textbook

I wonder how many people still remember or know of the local novel "The Teenage Textbook" and the sequel "The Teenage Workbook". Written in 1988 by Adrian Tan, it was made into a movie in 1998 starring Melody Chen. It chronicles the life of a group of students in the fictionous Paya Lebar Junior College. Mui Yee, the main character, is a very sweet but shy girl. She is joined by her good friend Sissy Song, who is a babe in all aspects but studies. Then, there are the male leads of Chung Kai, Mui Yee's "Mr Average" boyfriend, and his lusty-and-lisping friend Kok Sean.

The sudden thought of this book was ignited by my recent finding of the entire movie being made available on YouTube. Yes, the video streaming service from that decadent country. Anyway, who is to complain when I am using the blogging portal also from that decadent country. Back to the main topic at hand.

Yes, "The Teenage Textbook Movie", has been made available on YouTube in its entirety and it was a trip down memory lane. I was but a fat lad just shy of 18 years of age when the movie was released in Singapore. I still remember like it was only yesterday. I was totally head over heals with Melody Chen who played Mui Yee in the film. She was so sweet and smart. I am never one who goes for gals with sexy curves or a pretty face. Seeing Melody in the movie, her character was the ideal girlfriend in my mind at that time and still is now. Around that period I was attached to my then ex-gf, it irritated her to no end to see me going ga-ga about Melody Chen and she felt that Lim Swee Tze, who played Sissy, was much prettier. Well, if she could swoon over Leonardo Di "Crapio" in Titanic, there is nothing wrong with me admiring Melody/Mui Yee.

I feel that even with the passing of time, many of the issues in the books or movie even are still pretty relevant today. Naturally, the biggest flaw in the book was about 16/17 year olds driving legally in Singapore, then again, the rest of the story is interesting enough for one to gloss over this fact. If you do get a chance, head on down to YouTube.com and watch the movie. I don't guarantee that you will love it but I guarantee that you will at least not feel that you have wasted your time watching it. Me? After finding out about the link, I watched it 3 times over 2 days!

On a side note,
In the movie there is a song written and sung by local gal Geraldine Ho, better known as Ger. The song title is called "My Special Angel". I really like the melody (no pun intended) and felt that the lyrics is really meaningful. When Geraldine wrote the song, according to her website, it was a tribute to her grandpa who had just passed away and to her former principal at Saint Theresa's Convent.

As I listened to her song, it got me thinking, do we all have a special angel somewhere. I gave it some thought and immediately it came to my mind that "My Special Angels" are my Granny, who has passed away just a couple of years back, and my Mum. However, I kept thinking, it is easy to identify a Special Angel from within the family but how about from without. For two days, I thought and pondered. Do I have a Special Angel outside? I always kept moving in my life that I do not really keep many friends. From among my friends, is there a Special Angel? After much consideration, when I almost gave up, it dawned on me. Or rather she dawned on me. Who is this Angel, you ask? Well, I would like to keep it a secret. I do not know if this person realises that she has become a positive factor in my life and even I was amazed when I realise that she has, in a way, become My Special Angel.


Geraldine Ho's My Special Angel
Took for granted of those days
Thinking nothing's gonna happen in my way
Know I'm wrong and I regret
For the things I did and things I've said
Come back to my life once more
So my aching heart won't hurt no more

I'm telling you
You're my special angel
Show me the way
It's just that there is no one who can
Ever take your place
Bring me back the days before
There is so many things
You have to learn from us all

I questioned why you left that day
Didn't say goodbye and left your way
A wave is only what you gave
The image will never fade away
I memorized the things you've said
And I'll carry it on until I'm dead

I'm telling you
You're my special angel
Show me the way
Those children needs your loving
In each and every way
All I want is only you
Take me now take me far away

Tears before my eyes
Hanging on forever
Shattered dreams go broken
In all through their lives
Words you always said before
Tell me now that you'll leave no more

You're my special angel
Show me the way
It's just that there is no one who can
Ever take your place
Words you always said before
Tell me now, that you'll leave no more

Cause I know that you're the one
I'm waiting for

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home