Saturday, June 27, 2009

Run Of The Mill (Part 11)

With his desire for a yearly break from the hustle and bustle of Singapore, Niv was getting desperate. He needed a break but could not find a trip companion. Plans were afoot initially for Niv to bring Heng along but in the end, things just could not work out. He had often mentioned his love for New Zealand to his mom and it never struck him to bring her along till now. Checking his sums, he then approached his mom,

"Mum, do you have any leave days left?"

"Yup, why?

"You want to go New Zealand. My treat. However, shopping is on your own. How about it?"

"Wow! How long do you intend to go? I got to check with my boss first."

"About 17 days. We leave on a Friday evening and return Sunday morning."

"Sounds ok. Maybe I can even stop over in Perth to visit your Aunt."

"Eh......sure. Maybe on the way back? I got to return for a meeting. You can visit Auntie while I return to Singapore first."

"Don't worry, I will pay for my own detour to Perth. I will let you know after I checked with my Boss."

Niv's Mum had never taken a long stretch of break from work before and her boss was surprised when she broached the topic. However, she quickly agreed when she heard the Niv was going to be bringing her on a trip. Even Niv's Mum's friends were surprised and slightly jealous. According to his mum, apparently, none of her colleagues kids have offered to bring their parents on a holiday. Well, what can Niv say. His mum has worked hard all her life and since he had abit of savings now, why not. Also, it should be pretty interesting having his mum as his trip companion.

Excerpt from Trip Diary:
Kia Ora! It has been a wonderful time here in New Zealand for 17 days. This time round, my trip companion is my Mum! It is supposed to be Summer but the temperature is going haywire and it is still as cool as Autumn. Brrr…. The flight to Auckland from Singapore was largely uneventful, thankfully and when I saw the 90 mile beach coast line, I was so HAPPY! Very often, my body got fooled by the daylight as I was still seeing the sun up till 9.30pm, making me think that it was still 5-6pm. AHHHH!

Day One
Left Singapore for Auckland via Brisbane on Qantas. It was a red-eye flight as I was hoping to get some things done at least on the day of touch down. While flying over Australia, we flew over some populous towns such as Alice Springs.

Day Two
Alas, while the plane was flying in to Brisbane, I could not get a shot of the rising sun at 30,000 feet. Arggg. Brisbane Airport is small when compared to Changi but it will do for today. I had forgotten how small a 737 is and when I compared it to the 747 I arrived on, I groaned in disappointment of the plane bringing me into Auckland.

YEAH! Auckland, New Zealand! Finally I am here. After picking up my rental car, we headed over to Mount Eden. It is now an extinct volcano but the crater makes for a great walk. However, there are too many “landmines” while going up the Mount. Haha. We had to watch where we land our every single step. There were plenty of cows on the Mount and I got right up and patted one. Haha! When we were at the top, we then realised that there was actually another route which would have allowed us to drive up instead of trekking up. Guess I was not reading the map too carefully. Heez. However, the sweet air and the cool temperature made it an easy walk for us both.

Mum had arranged to meet up with her former primary school teacher and we were invited by she and her husband to dinner at a nice little Chinese restaurant in Remuera. We had a great laugh at dinner and they were surprised that I brought my mum along. My mum's former teacher said that in future we have to give them more notice ahead of time. Afterall, my mum only informed her that we were coming 2 days prior. Haha.

Day Three
Woke up early today to head up to Paihia for the cruise of the Bay of Islands. Took the longer route and felt that it was not worth it. Next time, I am sticking on State Highway 1. The cruise was really wonderful and we were able to spot dolphins and went to the “Hole in the Rock”. Unfortunately, the sea condition today was choppy and the tide was high, resulting in us not being able to sail through the rock. The captain of the boat was a really funny bloke and regaled us with plenty of stories and jokes. The cruise also had a stopover at an island called Urupukapuka. The lookout point is only a short walk from the cafe but the view was beautiful. However, now we again met up with "landmines", this time the sheep kind. Hahaha.

When we resumed the cruise, there were some people who had paid for the opportunity to “swim with the dolphins” and it was really hilarious seeing them dive down and swim around to see the dolphins. Every so often, the captain would manoeuvre the boat to near where the dolphin pod was and told the swimmers to go out and look down.. Plenty of shouting and encouragement came from those of us on the boat. Hahaha!

After the cruise, as there was still plenty of daylight, it was a good idea to head over to see the Haruru Falls. There have been some people who have claimed that the falls look no more than a drain. Well, when I looked at it, I had to admit that it seemed rather small but it still looked beautiful nonetheless. By then my stomach was growling and I told mum that is was time to head for dinner. We had dinner at a restaurant by the dock and they served really good food. I especially liked the melting chocolate pie. Yummmmmm!

Pit stop for tonight is the exact same hotel I stayed at the last time I was here. When I reached the hostel, I realised to my horror, that I was terribly sunburned. Not just dark, my body was heated up too. Damn, forgot to use sunblock!

Day Four
The destination for today is Cape Reinga. Situated at the Northern tip of New Zealand, it is the place where the Maoris believe that the souls of the departed will leave and return to their homeland of Hawaiiki. On the journey to Cape Reinga, we stopped by at the Kauri Forest where we saw trees that were so wide, that with my arms stretched out, I still had not covered the diameter of the tree!

After the Kauri Forest, we headed to 90 miles beach but it started to drizzle. Looking at the beach, it was but a stretch of beach which you could drive on, provided you had a 4WD. The wind had kicked up the sea slightly and we quickly moved on to our next destination. When we reached a fork road heading to Cape Reinga, we saw a sign which pointed to the Giant Sand Dunes. Standing on the dune, you could not help but felt how small you were. It was almost like a desert out there. I also had a chance to see some people sand-boarding down the dunes. I had real difficulty getting to the top of the dune and could be largely due to the fact that I was wearing my boots. DUMB! Haha.

When we reached Cape Reinga, it was starting to drizzle slightly but we still went ahead to the lighthouse. At the lighthouse, we had a magnificent view of the area where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. WOW!

With the need to reach Auckland for our pit stop for the day, we soon left and it was a marathon 7 hour drive from Cape Reinga. Along the way, we stopped for pies and even picked up more food at a supermarket. By the time we reached Auckland, it was already 10pm and we adjourned to the Skycity Grand Hotel. Word of warning, if your package includes valet service, go to the correct hotel. It is abit pricey but its ok to pamper my mum abit and I get to soak in the bath. AHHHH!

Day Five
Waking bright and early, we had our breakfast at the coffee house before heading on to the Coromandel Peninsula. We took a trip through Road 309 known for many places of visit within but driving here was not easy. It was a day of plus and minus today. I managed to visit the beautiful Rapaura Watergardens, went up to Castle Rock and saw the Waiou Falls on Road 309. It was a surprise to see a statue of the God of Longevity, otherwise known as Shou Xing Gong to most of us in Singapore, at the Rapaura Watergardens. Haha. Drivers beware, Road 309 is a gravel road and the drive up to see Castle Rock is not for the faint hearted. However, the rewards for the bravery are beautiful sights.

After we exited Road 309 on the other side of the peninsular, there is a beach in the area known as the Hot Water Beach. Here, the geothermal energy in the ground heats up the water that is trapped in the sand as it is being brought in by the waves. Many folks come ready with their shovels at low tide to dig up their own private hot water spa. It was really fun seeing everyone digging hard for their own spa pit. Wish I had a shovel, I would not mind joining them.

Sadly, I took a wrong turn later near the Hot Water Beach while heading to the lookout point for Cathedral Cove and got stuck at the beach at Hahei and had to pay to get the vehicle pulled out. Arggg. NZD150! Ouch! After the car was rescued, I headed up to the lookout point to Cathedral Cove. No way was I going to give up seeing the sight just because my rental car got stuck.

Due to the delay, we had to rush to our next pit stop in Bethlehem, a 3 hour drive away. I was tired and hungry. We, or rather I, had finished most of the snacks and there was nothing left for me to munch. Also, my astigmatism was getting to me and I needed my spectacles badly but was too lazy to get it out of the bag. However, when we arrived at the motel, it was a really good place to rest. They even had a jacuzzi tub to boot! WOOO HOO! While I showered, Mum prepared some simple soup with the food we had bought at the supermarket previously. It is great travelling in New Zealand as we do not have to worry about our perishables spoiling as it was mostly cool and dry.

Day Six
In the morning, while on the way to Rotoroa, we headed over to the Kiwi Capital of the world, Kiwi 360. Over here, the kiwis were sweet! Not the sour kind we find in our supermarkets back home. The golden ones were especially yummy! Mmmm.... After that, we passed Okere falls while on our way to Rotoroa. It was a place where many come to do white water rafting and there happened to be a group who were being "dunked" at the falls while I was there. Nice.

Next was to the region of the thermal energy, the place of interest for today, Rotoroa. Sad to say the Maori Thermal village that I visited previously, has begun to commercialize itself. The performance seemed to be shortened. Sigh. However, the guided tour was still a thrill to follow. The guide was really great and patient with all the visitors.

Next up was the Buried Village. This was a Maori Village which was completely buried when Mount Tarawera erupted in 1886. Here, we could see some of the huts that were excavated since the eruption. On the way back to the hostel in Rotorua City, we passed by the Whakarewarewa Redwood Forest. It was a redwood forest with many marked paths which allows visitors to take a walk amid the serenity of nature. It was really quiet and you could hear your self think!

Headed to the hostel and started paying my bills. Haha. Most of this trip was paid for using my credit card initially and I went online to make payments so as not to burst the limit. Heez.

Day Seven
While on the way over to Waitomo caves, we headed over to Huka Falls and did the Hukajet and it was really really fun! Especially the 360-degree turns. FWAH! Everyone should give it a go, even though it is abit pricey. A brief stop over at the Craters of The Moon was lacking as the geothermal energy seems lower. Plus, you got to pay entrance now. AHHHHH!

When we reached Waitomo Caves village, we managed to cover the 3 caves in the Waitomo caves area "Aranui, Ruakuri & Waitomo Glowworm" and the limestone structures were really beautiful. Each cave had its own unique characteristics and you never grow tired of seeing it again and again.

When we finished with the caves, it was still bright, so I decided to head on to the Marakopa Falls. The last time I was in this region, I tried looking for it but to no avail. This time, with the long hours of sunlight, I finally found it and it was fantastic.

Tonight we stayed at a little Bed & Breakfast situated atop a hill just at the edge of the village. When we approached the slope, there was a sign which said "Approach with Enthusiasm"! I was laughing and engaged the first gear and floored it. The slope was really steep and second gear could not even make it! The rooms were very well decorated and the hospitality was wonderful! We had a wonderful view of the village from up here. It was really nice.

Day Eight
Woke up to the wonderful smell of Helen's and John's cooked breakfast. It was so nice! An American family also happened to be staying at the B&B that day and we had a little chat over breakfast about place of visit and sports. After breakfast, we soon bade farewell to Helen and John, and started for the 6 hours drive to Wellington.

While on the way to Wellington, we made a detour to the Te Apiti Wind Farm. It was grand and the wind was sooo strong! I am so small compared to the large wind turbines. Te Apiti Wind Farm is the biggest wind farm in New Zealand! It was also very windy at the Paekakariki lookout which is situated just an hour outside Wellington. The skies were not looking good and we did not have a really great view.

We quickly got back into the car and headed onward to Wellington. After checking in at the hostel, yeah that cute gal I saw here 2 years ago is still working here, we headed to our destination for the evening. The Kraori Bird Sanctuary in Wellington was a very nice place to visit. Took part in the guided night tour and it was a great experience. Only sad thing was we heard the wild Kiwis but could not see them. Ah well.

2 years ago when I visited Wellington, I had taken a picture at the Botanic Gardens and it had Chang's hostel as the backdrop. Now that I am back in Wellington again, my thought invariably led to Chang and I wondered how she is doing currently. I remembered she had a handphone trinket, she bought when she was a student here, which she liked very much. I drove around looking for it and was glad to finally find it. Sadly there was only a piece left.

Dinner tonight is FUSH & CHUPS. Really, no bull. We were lucky when we arrived on the evening that the hostel had a dinner special and we took it up. Did not feel like cooking or going out to eat tonight. Haha.

Day Nine
It was a very windy day today in Wellington. My rental car was being bounced around by the wind while waiting at the junction of Wakefield Street and Cambridge Terrace. Ooooh. Headed to Cape Palliser to find the seals at the seal colony, unfortunately there were no seals there at all. However, during the journey, I kept getting blocked by a huge herd of sheep crossing the road. All the time they kept baying and shitting all over the road! Hahaha. It was starting to drizzle on our way back to Wellington and I decided to head over to visit the Hau Nui Wind Farm. Hau Nui Wind Farm is the first wind farm to be built in New Zealand.

When we returned to Wellington, it was raining heavily and my plans could not be put into action. In the end, only the visit to Te Papa museum could be done. Well, at least they had a great exhibit there today, the colossal squid which was caught last year by chance. While visiting the museum shop, I was happy to see the All Blacks jersey on sale and I quickly got one for myself! I love the All Blacks and it is really difficult to find their stuff anywhere outside of New Zealand. The official original merchandise I mean.

Day Ten
The wind was really gusting in Windy Wellington this morning. Remembering my mistake from my previous trip, I topped the car's tank full before heading on to the ferry. With the strong wind, came heavy seas and you could really feel the Interisland Ferry bouncing. I wanted to go up to the sun deck but it was raining and was stuck in the cafe for the entire duration of the cruise.

Finally I am in the South Island and heading down to Franz Josef township. Along the way, a visit to the seal colony at Cape Foulwind was done. At last, some seals at a seal colony and there were many seals there too! There was also the customary visit to the Puanakaiki Pancake Rocks park as it was on the route along the way. Apparently, if I had come during the high tide, I would have gotten to see the magnificent water spouting from the blowhole. Next time! Next Time!

Along the way to Franz Josef, there were many strange road signs that will never appear in Singapore. Cow crossing, Penguin Crossing, Seal Crossing, Kiwi Crossing! What the.......! Hahaha. Thankfully the motel we were staying at this evening has a stove and we could cook some porridge and grilled some chicken. They also came with a DVD player! Haha!

Day Eleven
Woke up in the morning after a good rest and headed over to visit the glaciers. Although I did not manage to sign up for the glacier tours, I did my own walks and I got really great views of the Franz Josef and Fox glacier. The glacier river was so cold that I could not cross it properly as it was FREEZING! However, over at Fox Glacier, days of rain have caused a rock slide and the front of the glacier had collapsed. The ice cave that I was at previously is missing too. The entire front had collapsed and now the glacier river was flowing from the right side instead of the left 2 years back.

While on the way to Queenstown, we picked up 2 hitchhikers who happened to be on the way there too. Chatted with them in the car and found out that they were Apple and Ricky from Hong Kong. Apple was real chatty and looked cute too. Ricky was quiet though. We had a great chat in Cantonese and found out that they were on a 1 year work and tour visa and moving through New Zealand. WOW! If only I had the guts to do such a thing and put my life on hold. Queenstown is a small town with a very laidback charm. The mountains nearby gives it an added blend of man in nature. Alas, as it is supposedly Summer now, the ski fields are all closed and I could not get to ski. We had wanted to invite Apple & Ricky to join us but I guess Ricky was too shy and got out of the car after we arrived in Queenstown but not before thanking us. Today happens to be the Chinese Winter Solstice and we headed to a very nice Chinese restaurant for dinner. The lady boss was from Hong Kong and we had a great chat. We joked whether they had any Tang Yuan but sadly, such things are not available readily in New Zealand.

Day Twelve
Onward to Manapouri for the Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise, It is a cruise lasting the entire day and it was well worth it. Sailing through the fjords and enjoying the lush scenery and wildlife. Ahhhh. While on board, my mum commented that we seem to be the only Asians here. I told her that most Asians head to Milford but I have read that Doubtful is equally if not more beautiful. Also, it is less travelled and thus more pristine. We got to see seal colonies, beautiful untouched fjords and even had dolphins swimming with us! We really enjoyed ourselves on the cruise. I guess nest time I have to bring my own packed lunch. The packed lunch that was provided is very simple and very expensive. No wonder I saw some families bringing their own food. Haha.

Day Thirteen
Headed towards Bluff in the morning to get a shot of the coastline. However, I got caught by the police for speeding and got slapped with a NZD230 fine. Sigh. Money not well spent. Arggg. The view from Bluff was ok but the return trip walk to the lookout was a killer. I was panting very badly by the time I returned to the rental car.

The Catlins coastline was our next destination and I found some interesting places of visit. Like Slope Point, the South most point of New Zealand and Curio Bay where there lies a fossilised forest. It was a rock shore where many fossilised remains of shellfish remains. Found a seal resting there too. Penguins were expected at the Curio Bay but they are out fishing, although there was a very clear stench of penguins and signs of their "projectile shitting". I knew penguins had been there as I recognised their smell from my days as a birdkeeper at Jurong Bird Park's Penguin Parade. Driving the Catlins coastline explorer route is risky as it was all loose gravel roads and I felt the car slipping a few times too! Just before heading for my rest stop for the night, the final place of visit was the Moeraki Boulders. These are round boulders that happened to be at the shoreline. Nobody knows how they got there and they sort of look like dinosaur eggs. I could not resist and started jumping on them. Haha.

By the time nightfall came, we were tucked in nicely at The Hermitage in Mount Cook Village on Christmas Eve. The village is situated at the base of Mount Cook. I had hoped to so stargazing the evening I arrived but alas, it was very cloudy. Even the view of Mount Cook was obscured. What a waste especially since I had a floor to ceiling window view of Mount Cook. Sigh.

Day Fourteen
Rise and shine and still the cloud cover was on Mount Cook. Ah well. After a hearty breakfast at the Alpine restaurant, it was a nice relaxing drive to Hanmer Springs. Along the way, the sky was still threatening and the rain was sporadic. However, I made some discoveries along the way. Farmers had built culverts or tunnels below roads to allow their cows to move from one grazing field to the next.

Lake Tekapo was a nice little village at the base of Mount Cook. A good place to take a break before heading on. However, I guess I must have been very drained by this point with all the driving and did not managed to visit the thermal pools when I reached Hanmer Springs. Anyway, I guess they were closed, since it was Christmas Day.

Day Fifteen
The early rest was good for me as I felt really recharged this morning. Heading to Kaikoura for the Whale Watch, I had forgotten to call them up prior to confirm the sailing. Alas, when I arrived, the wind was blowing too strongly and the sailing for the day was cancelled. I rearranged to return the next day and headed over to the Seal Colony to see the fur seals. Previously, the fur seals would be situated at the colony near the car park. However, this time round, they have placed themselves at the colony further at the tip of the peninsula and I had to walk through a bird nesting colony to get to them. While walking through the nesting colony, the birds must have thought that I am a threat and made lots and lots of noise.

Since there was not much to do for today, with the cancellation of the whale watch, we headed down to Christchurch to do the Gondola ride. As I have said during my last visit, the Gondola is actually the same as our Cable Car. The "gondola" which we are so familiar with in terms of Italian folklore is called Punting here. They have revamped the Heritage trail since I was last at the Gondola Station back in 2006 and now it is a ride. Not too bad if I may add. Sadly it was ruined by the noisy people in the ride. Sigh.

Shopping in town was up next and since it is Boxing Day, they have very very big Boxing Day sales going on. I got a couple of All Blacks merchandise for myself, fleece, long and short sleeved jerseys, winter jacket, key chains. Haha. Going nuts buying All Blacks stuff.

We finally took our rest at our final pit stop in Christchuch in a little motel. It had spa baths in the rooms and we had the bath that could sit two. Great for couples but not so great for me & my mum! Haha. Hmmm......If only Heng was here with me. Scrub that thought! Haha.

Day Sixteen
While waiting to reconfirm the sailing for the day's whale watch, we went to visit the Christchurch Cathedral Square. There was a bazaar, people playing chess with the giant chess set, street performers and everybody out on a day just to relax and have fun.

When I confirmed the whale watch, it was a two and a half hour drive up to Kaikoura again. We managed to see 2 whales but they did not do the traditional dive with their tail fins up in the air. Looking at the whales, it almost seemed like it was just a log there, if not for the occasional spouting of water from their blowholes.

Heading back to Christchurch after that, I began the process of packing my bags for my return home. Sigh. I really really don't want to return to Singapore. Anyway, there was a lost sheep while I was heading back to Christchurch. In fact I saw many lost sheep during my trip, many of them escaping from the farms and running around outside on the road. Hahaha.

Day Seventeen
This morning we bid farewell to New Zealand. While on the shuttle from the car rental company to the airport, the driver chatted with us and he too was upset that Air New Zealand does not fly to Singapore anymore. He said that it costs more now for him to visit South East Asia, with Singapore Airlines holding the monopoly on the routes from Christchurch.

On my flight back to Singapore, something nice happened. I got bumped up to another class in Sydney after arriving from Christchurch. This will never happened on an SIA flight as their flights are never full. Thank goodness I flew Qantas this time. The welcoming steward even pulled a fast one on me when he mentioned that I could not board the plane with the shirt I was wearing. I was stunned for a moment before realising that I was wearing my All Blacks jersey while boarding an Australian carrier plane. Hahaha. The service was great and I can grow to like it. Alas I am not rich and usually can only barely afford to fly Economy. However, thanks Qantas. You made it a nice ending for my holiday!

Well, that just about wraps up my journey this time in New Zealand. Till the next time. Kia Ora and Harae Ra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home