Friday, May 09, 2008

I Am Not A Slave

There were many issues that cropped up at work today. Many of which are out of my control.

Firstly, 2 of my machines were down and required parts. These parts were sent to a vendor for rework at the beginning of March as I knew that the turn around time would be very long. Towards the middle of April, I had questioned the vendor regarding my parts and he had tried to bring them back from Japan by the first week of April. However, he and his company had totally forgottened about the Golden Week holiday in Japan. This reulted in much delay in the part returning to Singapore. Due to this, both my machines are lmited in terms of productivity as they could only produce at 75% capability. The unreasonable manager of mine kept pushing me to thaink of ways to bring the mahine up to full capacity but there was no way the parts would return from Japan overnight. Also, he was not willing to borrow parts from another shutdown machine or purchase new parts from the OEM. Sigh. I was at wits end and did not know what other things I could do. Then he questioned me why I left early. I had checked with the Production department with regards to both machine performing at 75% capacity and they had no issues. Since there is nothing I could do and with him unwilling to spend any money, there was no need for me to stay at work beyond normal office hours. Sigh. He later gave the order to take the part from one of the machine to boost the other to 100% capacity and to shutdown the other faulty machine. Apparently, he was asked to shutdown some machine due to the lower production numbers. I did not have this info and he did not provide it to me. I worked to the best of my abilities to get the machine running at the most optimum level but without the additional information, which he would not have shared in any sense, I would not have made the decision he did. What's more, only he can give the order to cannabilize parts from another machine. I cannot. Sigh.

Secondly, I have put in many hours to get my machines to work at optimum levels and yet everything that I propose or do is never met with approval from the manager or the principal engineer. They even want me to explain why I do not answer their calls after work or on weekends! Hello! I am an Engineer in the section, NOT A BLOODY SLAVE! All my colleagues can feel that both of them have it rough for me and it seems as if they want me out. Biggest reason I can think of behind this is that I was never interviewed by them. All the engineers in the section were interviewed by them prior to them joining the company or the section. However, I was interviewed by the senior management staff. As such, they were never happy with my appearance and had always viewed me as an unwanted person. Well, I do not suffer fools kindly. I have already sort out pathways and when the time is ripe, it will be time to move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home