Monday, January 22, 2007

Do you say "I am sorry" verbally?

While I was at home today, washing the clothes and cleaning the floor, a thought suddenly came to mind. Well, it was by way of a reflex thought due to some recent SMS.

We all have made mistakes one time or another, sometimes we apologize, sometimes we do not. However, when we do apologize, when was the last time you said "I am sorry" verbally? I myself have many a times used phrases like "I apologize", "Please forgive me" or "Can you not be upset with me?" verbally. I have even sent "I am sorry" via Instant Messaging or SMS but I cannot truly remember when was the last time I said it verbally.

You might be thinking, what is so important about verbalizing "I am sorry"? With the advent of modern technology, which allows us to communicate instantly and easier with each other, we have started to communicate less and less verbally with people around us anymore. Kind of a paradox isn't it? The human touch is getting lost in the muddle of technology. Look around you, even colleagues do not speak to each other anymore, even if they are sitting next to each other! They would rather send an Instant Message to each other. Even for the simple fact of lunch. You can argue that they do not want to be caught by Bosses who do not tolerate idle chatter in office but communicating only via Instant Messaging with the person sitting just next to you is really a sad case. We have vocal chords for a reason, to communicate.

Think about it. How about yourself? When was the last time you said "I am sorry"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home