Saturday, April 15, 2006

Then & Now: From MPE to MAE

Some time at the beginning of Year 4, i was looking at our pictures and was smiling at the changes that had happened to most of us. 3 papers and a presentation later (at least for me), we are supposedly going to be qualified engineers. Oooh. How interesting. Hahahahaha. All of us started as students under MPE but are about to graduate as students of MAE. To mark the end of our undergraduate years at NTU, the School of MAE had commissioned a series of individual head shots of us to help us remember each other. Comparing our photos from then to now was a really joyous experience.


ALVIN

Alvin's TransformationNational Service status in limbo and just months prior to National Day Parade 2003, I had my first photo taken for admission into NTU. Very country bumpkin looking. Hahaha. Fast forward 6 months later, at the EID exhibition, where our group won the automation category, looking rounder. 18 months later, at the beginning of year 4, having been through a near-life ending accident, looked slightly slimmer due to the liquid diet I was on for the 3 months prior. And the present me, (ok, maybe the me of a month ago when my hair was longer), starting to be round again but at least more normal looking than the country bumpkin looking me from 3 years back. Hahahaha.


MALCOLM

Team leader of my EID group and one of my best friends in NTU. We were practically in the same class from day 1 when we started Year 2 together but we only became good friends during the November of 2003. Like me, he is also a Polytechnic graduate. Unlike me, he was a top Polytechnic student, a good badminton player, an Air Force officer and the Sword of Honor Recipient (Top Officer Cadet Trainee for the Air Force) during his Officer Cadet Training. A steadying influence on me through my many trials and tribulations these 3 years. Listened to my consistent ranting but never put me down before except for the occasional jibes. All in good fun. Hahaha. Got happily married to Eileen in 2004 and will be having his traditional Wedding Dinner this coming September. We are all still waiting to become aunties and uncles to his kids. Hahahaha.

Malcolm's TransformationHis first photo was taken while he was still in the Air Force, pending his acceptance by NTU. The second was from our most joyous date in NTU, the EID exhibition when we won. Lastly, the Malcolm of today, which was taken for our Graduation yearbook. He claims that we all look better than him in the pictures taken for the yearbook. You decide. Hahahaha.


INDRA

Sat next to me during our first lecture, G263 Fluid Dynamics, on day one and has been my only other best friend since. A top student in his Polytechnic days and is an officer like Malcolm but in the Army. One thing in common we have is that we were both recipients of the Best Trainee of our respective platoons during our Basic Military Training days. Alas, his path was of an officer and me as a lowly Regimental Policeman. We meet up occasionally for soccer or badminton. Conned me into signing up for the lifesaving course, which he eventually did not turn up for. Ah well, at least now I AM the qualified lifeguard. Hahaha. Just last year he even tried his hand at Scuba Diving. Another dive buddy for future dive trips. Yeah! He is currently happily attached and we are all still waiting for his wedding invitation.

Indra's TransformationHe looks very amused when he took the first photo for his application into NTU. That was way back in the first half of 2003. The joker that he is, is revealed in the second shot which was taken at the end of 2004 at a barbeque, just prior to us beginning our 6 months Industrial Attachment. Back to some sense of normality in the Graduation yearbook, although I did touch up on his picture. The original photo taken had some of his hair sticking up like horns. Hahaha.


KAH LEONG

From the first day I met Kah Leong, he has always been a very quiet and reserved person. Often you have to engage him to get him to speak. It is only when you are talking to him that you realize that he has a wealth of knowledge and experience waiting to be tapped. He has been a great friend to me, listening to my pathetic attempts at getting a girlfriend, and always joking with me about my on-again off-again attempts. Hahahaha. Even through all my bullshit, he always encourages me to pass my modules and not give up. He is really a great friend.

Kah Leong's TransformationThe first picture was taken a year prior to his entry into NTU in 2003, having been accepted the year before. The second photo was taken in December 2003 and he is another member of our hugely successful EID group. The third photo was taken in March this year, when we went together to have our pictures taken for our Graduation yearbook.


SAM

Sam is actually his surname and not some English name. No matter how you address him, he is also another helpful person. When I first met him, the impression I had was that he and Joyce were an item, which I later found out how wrong I was. Hahaha. When it comes to work, Sam is a very serious person and does not likes to be disturbed. However, when his "work" mode is turned off, he is just another happy go lucky bloke like us. His main gripe when I first met him was that no matter how he eats, he remains stick thin. Arggg. Hate people like him who never grows fat. Hahahaha.

Sam's TransformationHe still looked very childlike in his first photo which was taken sometime in the first half of 2003. Another member of our successful EID group in the second photo taken in December 2003. Although he seemed to have softer features in the second photo, his features became sharp again in the Graduation yearbook photo taken last month.


T041: EID 2003 AUTOMATION CATEGORY WINNERS

A team of 2 females, both former JC students, and 8 guys, all Polytechnic graduates, were brought together from 17 November to 19 December 2003. It was a dream come true for the gals as they had wished that they would be joining a group where the majority of the guys were Poly grads. Well, they got more than what they wished for. Hahaha. During this period, we worked hard and play even harder together. Well, I played more often than not. Hahaha. Our little invention, the IGM2003 won us the First Prize in the Automation Category of EID 2003, bagging the group a trophy and a cool $1400 shared by the 10 of us. Sweet!


CELEST

The first time I made contact with Celest was back in the first semester of Year 2. In between lectures, I used to go outside the Main Lecture Theatre to heat up. There I made some friends and Celest was a friend of theirs. Spoke to her once but never had any contact with her right up till September of 2004 when we were in the same dive group. From then on, we used to chat and poke fun at each other, but always only on MSN. In person, we hardly ever spoke. A very fun loving lady, she always has an entourage of male friends with her but she never ever takes advantage of them. A good friend of mine and happy to have, she is currently happily attached but is always willing to lend a ear to this blabbering idiot. Hahaha.

Celest's TransformationShe looks very beautiful and photogenic in the first picture. I guess it could be due to the long hair. I am a sucker for gals with long hair. Hahaha. She has since trimmed her hair short as can be seen in the second photo which was taken for the Graduation yearbook. She looks slimmer with the sharper features but I feel it makes her look too businesswoman like now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home